Oct 20, 2011

Workout Playlist!

From Friends, "The One where Pheobe runs"  She was probably listening to "Animal", by the Neon Trees.  

I have been going to the gym almost everyday since the beginning of summer, and I feel like it is a habit that I could never break now.  It was hard at first but now that I am into a routine I feel horrible if I don't go!  Being healthy is very important to me now and I don't want all of my hard work to go to waste.  I need the energy I get from working out, and eating right helps to.  I can finally start seeing the fruits of my labor in the mirror which is very rewarding.  My Mother-in-law, and sister-in-law, and me have made exercising, eating healthy, and juicing apart of our lifestyle, and doing that is so much better than any kind of diet.  Also, their support everyday helps a lot!  We joined a gym and do a variety of group classes and cardio and weight-lifting.

While doing cardio I like to mix it up by jogging, running, and walking on an incline.  Other wise I would get too bored, or tire out to quickly.  Remember, I haven't been doing the running thing long.  In fact I have always hated it and would prefer the elliptical, stairs, or bike.  But recently I have really enjoyed running,  and I must say, purchasing the right workout clothes...(sports bra) is another contributing factor.  I do have a jogger stroller and it works great for taking Cohen on walks, but I am a "indoorsy" kind of runner.  How can you beat fans to cool you off, and mirrors surrounding your every flaw for motivation?  Good headphones, bottle of water, and headband are accessories I could never live without.  I like being in control of the terrain as well.  I don't have to run up a mountain if I just don't have it in me at the moment.  Also there wouldn't be Sadie Compton's treadmill right beside with her speed and incline set always at least a point higher than mine.  She does that for competition motivation,  I don't mind because it motivates me too.

Music motivates me more than anything.  If I forget my headphones, I might as well stick to weight lifting for the day.  The gym is no time for your music snob playlist, or your sob playlist.   Choose whatever is fun and makes you want to dance, or makes you want to take out all of your anger on the treadmill. Here is just some of the songs on my workout playlist that really helps me get through.  Below, I put down what songs help with what I am trying to do.

1. I get on the treadmill and feel motivated, but want to pace my self to run for longer than 10 minutes.  "Waste" by Foster the People.  It's light, happy and upbeat, with a perfect beat to maintain a fast pace walk to a slight incline.

2. So, today I crawl onto the treadmill and am completely unmotivated- "Welcome Home, Son" by Radical Face.  Why it works for me?  It has a powerful drive and uplifting tone.  Positive lyrics, and full ethereal sound makes me want to take off in flight!

3.  For me, walking on inclines requires some steady and intense beats.  The angrier the better too!  Perfect for something like "Heartless" by Kanye West or "Sink Into Me" by Taking Back Sunday.  I like to transition from incline to run with something like "Simple Math" by Manchestor Orchestra.  Any intense song that builds as it plays and then explodes into something even more powerful does the same for my endurance.  "You and I" by Lady Gaga is another good one.

4. For a jogging pace I have to go with Lady Gaga "Bad Romance" or "Just Dance." Any song that talks about running and dancing, is kinda perfect haha.  "Bottoms Up" by "Trey Songz" and"Love the Way You Lie" by Eminem work really good too.

5.  Finally, these are my favorites on the workout playlist because they can carry me for the whole song and I can run my heart out to these.
 "Pensacola" by Manchester Orchestra is driving, upbeat, fast and exhilarating.
 "Animal" by Neon Trees is fun, re-charging and wild, and will make you want to run like Pheobe in       Friends.
 "The Edge of Glory" by Lady Gaga, again she mentions running in this song, totally appropriate.
 "MakeDamSure" by Taking Back Sunday, builds up to a intense pace that you can soar too.
 "Lose Yourself" by Eminem is angry, emotional and motivating, in that crazy angry Eminem sort of way..
 "Super Base" by Nicki Minaj is so great and fun to run to that I save it for last, it picks me back up when I'm at my most tired!

I save the best songs for when I want to run so fast that I think my legs will give out, and it's these moments when I feel the high from running.   I feel weightless as I run as fast as I can, forgetting where I am and getting lost in the moment of feeling healthy, happy, and free.  This can only be ruined by a phone call in which the song would shut off and my body would give out.  SO this is why a great workout playlist is so important to me.  I hope comes of these songs help with your workout,  I'm off to the gym!

Faith, Trust, and Pixie Dust.

2 comments:

  1. New Diet Taps into Pioneering Plan to Help Dieters LOSE 20 Pounds within Only 21 Days!

    ReplyDelete