Nov 17, 2011

Rag Rug Stools

Rag Rug Bar Stools
 When I am not watching Seseme Street, Little Einsteins, or Spongebob (yes Cohen loves Spongebob) I am watching HGTV.  Dear Genevieve with Genevieve Gorder is my absolute favorite!  She was a judge on this season's HGTV Design Star, and as I watched her give advice to the contestants and critique their work, I listened hard because I love her design eye.   One night on the show, a contestant named Kelly turned some everyday bar stools into the cutest ones I ever seen, and it looked so easy!  She found some rag rugs and stapled them to the top of the stool!  Well last night I made my very own!  Cameron and I love the way they add color to the kitchen!  I really think that every room needs pattern somewhere, and our kitchen thus far has had none!  That can make rooms look kind of cold.  Rugs, curtains, and dishtowels are obvious ways to add some texture and pattern but this is yet another way! I have a very cool black and white chevron rug on its way to go under the kitchen table, and am considering making my own curtains for the "dining room area".  All thats left (haha understatement) is cabinet hardware, our bar on our island, and a backsplash, and it should be complete!   But all this takes money, so I have to tell myself, baby steps.  However, when you can make some of the things yourself, you can make it come together a lot quicker!  By the way, Genevieve loved these!!

Here is how I did it!

You need a stool, that can hold staples.  We bought a pair of these these almost two years for our first apartment!

Get a rag rug anywhere, I found this one from Urban Outfitters.  It is a 3x5.  This is the perfect amount for two stools. 

I placed one side of the rug on top of the stool, streched it underneath until it was taut,  and used an electric staple gun with  5/16 (8mm) staples to staple it in place.  I cut around the lets where needed and cute the excess fabric off.  Then I used what was left to do the other!  Very simple, but takes some technique around the legs.  A hot glue gun would be helpful in some of the tricky places, but mine worked out fine.

Finished upside down view.  Stand them upright and trim any excess strings .  They are ready to use!


Lots to clean up, but the left over rags, unraveled to the left, will make a great future project!

The pair!







Faith Love, and Pixie Dust!


No comments:

Post a Comment