Nov 9, 2011

Rosy Lamp

I LOVE THIS LAMP!! It looks so pretty in our bedroom.  I got the base from my Mom and it has been without a shade for way to long.  I loved the base and thought that it needed a really special shade to match.  I bought a salvaged lamp shade at Dirt Cheap, for dirt cheap, and it was perfect.  I got it home and started to make the fabric roses.  It seemed like an easy thing to do.  This project took forever though.  Firstly, rolling the flowers takes longer than one would expect.  Secondly, I was using my Mother-in-Law's twin sheet from when she was a little girl, thinking it would cover the whole thing.  I was way wrong! I had rolled all of the flowers and then was left with the impossible task of finding another 35 year old white sheet that was just as wonderfully worn.  After lots searching and no luck, I found some pretty sheer curtains from the thrift store and decided I would mix the fabrics, and I really am happy with the way it turned out and the time spent was so worth it!

Here is what I used-
Lamp base, Paper Lamp shade (plain white is good to let more light shine through), old fabric, and my trusty glue gun.

First, I took the fabric and made a little slit with the sizzors about 2 inches away from the edge.  Then grab opposite sides of the fabric from where you slit it and tear evenly.  This will make a perfectly even strip with nicely frayed edges.  

To make the rose shape I took the fabric strip, folded it in half, then added glue to secure it on the end.  Then I folded in half again, and glued it as well.  I rolled it until it was about the size of my thumbnail, and then added glue again.  I then began wrapping the fabric around and around, folding the fabric back and forth as I folded.  That is hard to explain but you will have to try a few times to get the folds right so that it starts looking like a rose.  Add some glue every so often as you are rolling the fabric to make them stay better.  At the end glue the edge so its flush, and you are done!

Fold 2 times, and glue. Then start rolling.
First one!  I glued them on in rows making sure they covered the top and bottom edge of the lamp shade.  This was the fun part, and I went through a lot of glue!

Attach to lamp base, and flip on.  And Done.

Close up. I am loving how the light shines through.

I moved this large dresser to right wall after looking at this pic, it gives the lamp more space to stand out! 

Faith, Trust, and Pixie Dust!

1 comment:

  1. What a lovely idea using roses to update a lampshade, i think it looks really cool and my daughter would love one the same.Thank you for this great tutorial.take Care,regards Stacey