Dec 6, 2011

Thrifted Tuesday: Fair Isle and Fringe

My love for thrift store fashion is the reason I am so excited about Thrifted Tuesdays, a look book of thrifted pieces mixed with new, just how I like it!  I also will be featuring friends who put their own twist on thrifted style. I love shopping and I know everytime I go to the thrift store I can leave with a few things and not feel guilty about what I spent.  I haven't always been on top of fashion, usually avoiding anything I thought was too trendy, and also perplexed by everyone seeming to suddenly like the same thing at the same time.  I guess someone at Vogue is making all of these decisions for us, as Miranda Priestly eloquently discusses in one of my favorite movies, "The Devil Wears Prada." However, when the real "Miranda" decided on pleated skirts, sheer button up blouses, and gold accessories, I just had to jump on board.  Now I am having fun with what I wear as I try to cross that bridge from the Junior Department to the Misses, discovering now that the rules that I knew are so outdated.  Mixing brown and black?  Doesn't matter if you do it right.  Wearing white after Labor Day?  I'm pretty sure that that rule wasn't supposed to last the ages of fashion. The point of Thrifted Tuesday will be to show readers the inexpensive and one of a kind look they can score at the cheapest store in town.
 
                                                       LoOk BoOk 1:  Fair Isle and Fringe

This look is about mixing elements (suade, leather, knit, metal)  for a casual look that has some edge.  A pop of color with the skirt, combined with neutrals is just enough to make a statement!  Highlight with some gold and black sequin jewelry and accessorize with a black sequin purse (the jewelry and the purse will be friends :).



I was curious to know the history behind Fair Isle patterns, this is what I found!
Fair Isle is a traditional knitting technique used to create patterns with multiple colours. It is named after Fair Isle, a tiny island in the north of Scotland, that forms part of the Shetland islands. Fair Isle knitting gained a considerable popularity when the Prince of Wales (later to become Edward VIII) wore Fair Isle tank tops in public in 1921. Traditional Fair Isle patterns have a limited palette of five or so colours, use only two colours per row, are worked in the round, and limit the length of a run of any particular color. (wikipedia)



Skirt and bangles, (Miss Selfridge),  Medalion Necklace,( old American Eagle), shoes, (thrifted Zara, from style.ly), Clutch, (thrifted) Leather Jacket, (Bday gift from Express

  Faith, Trust, and Pixie Dust                                            

No comments:

Post a Comment