May 16, 2014

Do what you love: Sugar Pixels Design

This post is about celebrating loving what you do!  Whether you are a stay at home parent, a teacher, a nurse, an artist, or a person who finds time to do what they love after work in their spare time.  Today I have my sister-in-law Sydney and her cute graphic design work that she calls Sugar Pixels Design.  You can definitely tell this girl loves what she does! 
 Our kids are modeling her new tee’s from the fun photoshoot we did yesterday to showcase her new original infant/toddler clothing line at her Etsy store, Sugar Pixels Design.  My son Cohen, my nephew,(Sydneys son) Julien, and my niece Clementine were the best little models and it was fun to spend time with them.  They were pretty profesh about modeling these tees!  Sydney (Aunt Ninny) was sweet enough to give Cohen a few tee shirts and he (and I) just loves them!  They are super comfy cotton and have a good fit, not too boxy is what I always look for. He loves pointing out the animals on the “Friend to all living things” tee.  And I can not wait for him to wear the “Young American” David Bowie inspired tee on the 4th of July.  Also we love the bright colors in the “Be Brave” tee!  Here are our littles showing off how cute they fit!
Below you can see examples of custom and original wall art!  She also does custom invitations to all events, so check her Etsy shop to see more!     



























 

I asked Sydney to tell us about her work, and why she loves it, and this is what she said!
Q: Why and when did you decide to start your company?
A: "I was in school for graphic design and stopped going to help my family after my dad had a massive stroke a week before my wedding in August 2012.  My father was a professional photographer and I started getting into graphic design at a young age when he would pay me to edit photos. Shortly after my husband and I got married I became pregnant with my son Julien.  I made the decision to be a stay at home mom long ago but still wanted to be involved in graphic design and didn’t want to give up what I had done and loved for years, so I decided I would start my business so that I could stay at home with my baby and still be very motivated to continue doing what I loved to do!  I started Sugar Pixels Design designing wedding invitations.  I would sit at home and come up with sample wedding invitations all day and put them on Facebook just to see if anybody liked them. I got great feedback and went from there!  I started making invitations (to any event), business cards, and business logos.  After having my son I started doing nursery art and have just recently started an infant/toddler clothing line!"
Q: What do you see for the future of Sugar Pixels Design?
A: "I’m really excited about what I’m doing and what is to come.  I see big things in the future of Sugar Pixels Design and am more motivated than ever because I love what I do so much."
Q: Why do you love what you do?
A: "Having a creative outlet that I am able to share with others and still stay home and be the mother I’ve always wanted to be to my baby makes me extraordinarily happy and grateful.  I’m so thankful for my customers for allowing me to do what I am doing and making me a business and not a girl with a silly hobby.”

Sydney is giving one lucky reader of mine or IG follower of TLSK a free nursery print and tee shirt on this GIVEAWAY I am hosting!  A pair of Freshly Picked moccasins is also up for grabs!  Click HERE to see details on entering!  And go check out Sugar Pixels Design for all of your nursery art, infant/toddler clothing, and invitation needs!

I was thinking today about how my whole life has been centered and inspired by my creative family.  My mom and her special little touches she always added to everything from sparkling handmade gift tags from Santa under the tree, to the cutest star shaped peanut butter sugar sandwich in my lunchbox.  My dad is an amazing artist, creating everything I could ever dream of thus making the world around me so magical, from a homemade pair of ruby slippers (when I was little and Wizard of OZ obsessed) and a big white wooden treasure chest with my name written in gold on the side, to beautiful jewelry I wear and woodland animals hanging on my walls.  My sister sings like an angel and makes every song her own.  My husband writes incredible music, and his passion for writing new music inspires me.  My very talented father in law is an incredible artist and photographer and musician, and his artwork is all around our home.  My mother-in-law crochets beautiful things, like the fox hat Cohen is wearing above.  My siblings and siblings-in-laws, and cousins are all super creative and appreciative of good music, movies, and art.  I just love it.  Being surrounded by them only further inspires me to do what I love: Blogging, photography, painting, even dressing myself and my family and decorating my home in a way that is thoughtful of how beautiful I want everything around me to be...

I saw this quote somewhere and it is something my family and I try to live by: “Create what you want to see in the world.”  Yep, its a good one.

Thanks Sydney for being on the blog today and sharing what you love to do!  It truly does make this world a more beautiful place.  Please go like Sugar Pixels Design on FB, click HERE!

Faith, Trust, and Pixie Dust




No comments:

Post a Comment